The reality of Costa Rica

Monday, September 10, 2012

FRIED BANANA BASKETS WITH CREAMY SHRIMP

There is nothing better in the world than eating while you are hungry you might say. However, if we sit down to eat something delicious ravenously hungry, then the experience becomes unforgettable. That's what happened to me last Sunday.


My cousin invited us to a place called Miramar about an hour from San Jose. Miramar is located in the center of Montes de Oro, bordered to the north by the district of La Union and south to San Isidro. West borders the central canton of Puntarenas, and on the east by the counties of San Ramon Esparza and Alajuela.

When we arrived at this little restaurant called
LA BETA DE ORO, I had no expectation about food. I just knew I was very hungry. The owner is a gentleman named Luis Eduardo Valderrama from Colombia. He was very nice he personally attended our ordered. With every beer, I got a small cocktail sample of ceviche. It was very rich. It was just amazing! It was not only the flavor; I enjoyed the service as well.

In my time in Costa Rica this has been the best customer service I have experienced. I beg you to put this little restaurant in your to-do list.


The experience did not end there ... My wife ordered an Arroz con Pollo, which is chicken mix with rice very well done; it was rich in flavor. When my cousin got his meal he let me try the green banana basket's Creamy Shrimp.

It just melted in my mouth, I think this might be the best delicacy made in this small restaurant. If you ask me, I would recommend it without hesitation. The baskets are made of fried banana and within high-quality shrimp in a delicious butter cream. The truth is that although my rice with chicken was very good, I regretted not having ordered the green banana basket with shrimp.



It was one of my best experiences in Costa Rica in a matter of restaurants. It is worth the run from anywhere in the country to try this delicious dish.

FRIED BANANA BASKETS WITH CREAMY SHRIMP 
 Ingredients:
1 green plantain
400g of baby shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
¼ cup white wine
3 tablespoons heavy cream
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or a little more to taste (is picantita)
¼ tsp smoked paprika
Juice of half a lemon
Cornstarch to thicken
Salt and pepper to taste
Chives for garnish

Preparation:
For banana baskets, shred the thick banana (yes, raw), salt pans and use pimenté cupcakes to train. Place first layer of PAM (cooking spray), place the grated plantain until the edges being sure not to leave big holes and when finished put some more of PAM. Bake at 350 F until golden.

When browned, remove from oven and pan and cool because as this happens to be more severe.

Meanwhile make the filling: Place a little PAM and saute onion and tomato, when the tomato is destroyed, add the wine and reduce.
Add shrimp, cayenne pepper, paprika and sweet cream. When the shrimps are cooked, thicken with cornstarch dissolved in a little water. Adjust seasoning before serving and add the juice of half a lemon.


No comments:

Post a Comment